Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
My daughter moved her 401K funds of $3600 into a ROTH IRA...it totally bypassed her hands, as funds were transferred directly from 401K to ROTH. Since her 401K contributions were all tax-deferred, she now has to pay taxes on the $3600.

But, somehow, in using TaxAct...this is not showing as $3600 taxable income.

She received a 1099-R from 401K provider. She received a 1099-R from the ROTH IRA provider. I have entered both 1099-R's in the TaxAct Q&A, and it doesn't show as being income.

What am I doing wrong?

Aside from leaving out critical information?

I'm going to guess that even though she thought she was going directly from her 401(k) to her Roth IRA, what actually happened is that she went from her 401(k) to a temporary IRA, which was then converted to Roth. Otherwise there's no explanation I can think of for the 1099 from the Roth custodian.

So, for starters, what code is shown in Box 7 of each 1099-R? Please also indicate which is which, as they shouldn't be the same code.

The rollover from the employer plan should show up on line 16 of the 1040 with zero in 16b. The conversion should wind up in Part II of Form 8606, which flows to a taxable amount on line 15b of the 1040. You mentioned TaxAct Q&A. If you're using a version stored on your hard drive go into forms mode and open the 1099-R from the IRA custodian. Note the first question after you've entered the data from the form.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement