Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: monica3674 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: Update and next step(s) Date: 1/16/2004 10:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My DH and I were in somewhat of the same position. We have about 3k that we can invest each month. I am planning to stop working at the end of the 2004-2005 school year. It would be nice not to have the mortgage payment to make each month b/c all we will have then is DH's salary.

What we did was refinance to a 10 year mortgage @ 5.375%. Our first payment was like $640 principal, $460 interest. We don't pay anything extra toward the principal. Instead, we put $2k/month into our Ameritrade taxable account, 600/mo in VTSMX (taxable), $300/mo into 529 plans, and fully fund our Roths and DH's 401k.

This way, we can benefit from the higher (usually) investment gains in the stock market, but if we need money for some kind of emergency, it is there for us to withdraw.

When we were first married, we aggressively paid down the mortgage. We started at 135,200 (15yr, 8.25%). Fortunately, from June 2000 until probably June 2002, most of our extra money went to the mortgage. What we did put in the stock market is just now getting back to the levels we bought it at.

Think about a 10 year mortgage. You get many of the benefits of prepaying the mortgage, but you've still got extra money to put in the market.

Monica
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Deranged Monkey Criticism

Amazon: What Bezos Believes
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement