Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 29
My DH retired in 1995 at the age of 51. We both had sacrificed living what some thought was certainly silly but perfected the idea of LBYMs. We made up for that however when moving to Florida in 1996 and buying a house on the water (with a pool) and a new 36' Catalina sailboat.

When bored with that lifestyle, it was sell everything and buy a motor home and travel the country, which we did for a few years until boredom set in with that activity. Traded the motor home for a park model in an RV resort in Florida but that quickly grew old.

In 2006 we made the move to NW Arkansas, his golfing days were over but he settled into a part time activity of wood working and building furniture. Unfortunately his health caught up with him and we downsized our 3000sf house into one that is 1750sf. What a perfect choice. In December 2015 at age 71, he quietly slipped away while in a coma. He spent his 20 years of retirement living exactly as he wanted (so did I).

Now I'm by myself,and financially secure due to the sacrifices made early in his working life. It's strange to be alone, knowing every decision is on my shoulders and that I have no one to answer to but me. Funny, I can negotiate for a new car quite well ...lol.

I travel, sometimes alone a few times with friends, but nothing is going to slow this old lady down. I do what I want when I want and life is good.

Kitty
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement