Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My discomfort with Microsoft's strategy and durability of the moat led me to liquidate my position in Q1 and I'm not eager to buy in even at today's lower price, although the company remains on my radar if it can be purchased at a price that assumes Windows is a wasting asset. For me the key question is: Will Microsoft protect and grow the Office franchise or will they continue to use it as leverage to protect Windows? If I see a move toward iOS and Android versions of Office, that will go a long way toward alleviating my concerns regarding Office being used to protect Windows.

I think as an investment, it's not too bad at these levels. We've heard many that came on board and touted growth into the $30's. But it was proven unsustainable, partly due to results, and mostly due to a lack of leadership in any key area.

Myself? I've never been confident that a reliance on Xbox and Kinect would produce much to the bottom line, never mind growth. The way they rolled out Surface and Windows 8 led me to believe they really are throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

You mentioned a key point, OFFICE. Without it, Microsoft has little leverage in the desktop growth arena. I don;t see them porting it to Android or IOS anytime soon. It could offset the decline in Windows, for a period of time. Overall, I still believe if they do make full versions available, large layoffs and a new CEO and business model will follow closely behind. If 2013 resembles 2012, Microsoft will be a far different company thereafter.

None of this is saying they will go away. Investments in Enterprise, servers and tools will always be a huge factor in the PC world, and they compete well there.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement