No. of Recommendations: 0
My experience indicates that you will need a Power of Attorney (POA) for this. If your mom is trusting in you, as it appears, she can grant you a full POA. These are pretty simple to prepare. There are also limited POAs that allow the person named to only execute certain tasks-an example would be a service member overseas who wishes that their parents sell their vehicle. The POA is generated such that it only grants power over the title of the vehicle.

If your mother is a dependant of yours, I imagine this would not be necessary. You may be able to open a custodial account.

One other avenue is to have her sign all the paperwork, then grant you the password to the account on your discount broker of choice. Then, you're just depositing her money and moving it about, though she's the nominative holder of the account.

I suggest you contact the discount broker-they answer such questions frequently, and probably have something about it in their FAQ. I would email them the contents of your post.

Hope this helps,

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.