Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My father has alzheimer, a mental disease that requires that he live in a confined, secured facility. I am his sole support and pay over $3500 a month to provide for housing. My question is: 1) How do I claim him on my taxes? ..myself as head of household 2) can I also claim him under medical expenses? What are the tax implications?

Medical Expenses: If you provide more than half your father's support, you can claim medical expenses you pay for him on your Schedule A. You need to pay these expenses directly to the provider. You can read about this and qualifying long-term care expenses in IRS Publication 502.

Dependency: There are five tests for dependency. If your father meets all five, you can claim him as your dependent. These tests are described in Publication 501. The support and gross income tests are the ones you need to check out.

Head of Household: Finally an easy one. If your father qualifies as your dependent and you are unmarried, you qualify for head of household filing status. This is also covered in Publication 501.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.