Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: adsach Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19519  
Subject: Re: roll over??????????? Date: 8/2/2000 4:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My father is retiring 8/11/00 so I do not have much time to advise him.
He has an employee savings plan in the amount of 80,000. If he is issued
a check from the company he will be taxed at the highest rate. Thus,
where should he put the money for capital preservation and in order to
not be taxed when he is issued the check

If the employee savings plan is company stock, then he should find out the cost basis of the stock. If he has a low cost basis on the stock, he may WANT to take a lump sum distribution and pay IRS penalty on the COST basis, followed by long term capital gains when he sells the stock.

translation: If the employee plan is in company stock that has tripled or more since he joined the company - talk to an accountant who understands IRS distribution rules.

Fool on,
Ad Sach Singh
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

A Board that Makes You Think
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.