Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My father passed away in November, 1998. He had a revocable trust under
his SSN with my mother as administrator.

After all the paperwork cleared in Spring of 1999, the trust had a new
Tax ID number (not my father's SSN). My mother sold off the
remaining assets in the trust, and now I am faced with preparing
a return. What return do I file? (1040, 1041, ??). Can I do this myself
or should I seek help?. Thanx. Tim.

From the information you gave it is hard to answer your question.

Why did the Tax ID number change. Did an attorney for the estate request a new number? A new number would not have been issued without a request. Knowing why the number was issued may help answer the question. Who was the beneficiary of the estate? If your mother and the assets went directly to her she would include the sale on her 1040 since she owned the assets when sold.
Might want to consult an attorney to make sure you are reading the trust correctly and to tell you what forms to file. Hire the attorney for a 1/2 discussion.
Print the post  


When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.