Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
My father recently passed away.

My condolences on your loss.

I would like to change the mailing address on his accounts to my address. I live in California and he lived in a different state. Will this case any problem with state income taxes?

No and yes.

No, just having a mailing address in another state does not make the income taxable by that state.

Yes, in that California has an information sharing program with the IRS. CA gets some tax return info for any return with a CA address. If they can't find a corresponding CA return, they will send you a letter asking you to explain what's going on. Just respond with what you said here, and CA will go away.

In short, CA will probably ask you to explain why you didn't file a CA return. Just tell them what's going on and they'll be happy.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.