Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My fiance opened a traditional IRA for the first time during 2000; she subsequently converted the traditional IRA (the rolled over amounts are all attributable to her 2000 deposit) into a Roth IRA; we have now received a 1099-R indicating the rolled over amount is taxable for 2000.

What forms do we need to fill out to make sure we do not get taxed on what is essentially a Roth IRA contribution?

We need to clarify something first. Was the year 2000 contribution the only contribution ever made to the traditional IRA? If not, ignore the rest of this post and advise.

You report the conversion on Form 8606, Part II. You don't deduct the traditional IRA contribution on the 1040 and include it on line 14b of Form 8606. Any net gain while it was in the traditional IRA is income on line 15b of the 1040.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer

Thanks - the year 2000 contribution was the only contribution ever made.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.