Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 12
my folks got a health care worker who signed a letter stating she is an independent contractor. So we have been paying her by the week at a flat rate. yesterday she informed me because they are the only source of her income she is not longer an independent contractor. so wink wink, no one is paying taxes.

First and most importantly, your parents are being cared for by a thief. At the top of your list is to find a new provider ASAP. I'd recommend going through an agency (my parents used Kelly Assisted Living) to get through the crisis phase while they shop. That will give time to learn the rules before independently hiring someone.

Right behind that is don't pay another penny without getting her SSN, which I assume no one ever did, since it's fairly standard in this scenario, which has, I'm sorry to say, no completely innocent players. If she refuses to provide one come back for some info on backup withholding.

The question of employee vs independent contractor is a matter of facts and circumstances, not dealer's choice. Those facts and circumstances are covered in IRS Form SS-8.

On the surface it sounds like she's been an employee from day 1. Your parents' Federal responsibilities are explained in Publication 926. They may also have state responsibilities for unemployment and workers' comp.

Phil
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement