Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFDawn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1519  
Subject: My Fool FAQ Date: 2/22/2002 8:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My Fool allows you to quickly view your favorite message boards, your default portfolio, and organize links to your favorite places at The Motley Fool and everywhere on the web, all on one convenient page. This is also the page to change all of your Fool preferences such as your e-mail address, your password, and your personal profile. Be sure to click on the “Get Fool Perks” link in the gray bar to get a list of perks we offer you as a member of The Motley Fool. Check this page often to see the new offerings!

The My Fool page consists mainly of a number of sections like Favorite Features, My Links, My Portfolio, and so on. Some of these sections can be “floated” by clicking on the little icon in their upper right corner (which looks like a square floating over another square). When you click on this icon, a copy of the section appears in its own little window, which can be moved around, or floated, anywhere on your screen. They're always available even when you take your browser to another page. A really neat feature of the floating sections is they update every few minutes automatically.

Faves: New Messages

The Faves section shows which of your favorite boards have new messages. Click on the name of a board to go directly to that board. Favorite boards with no new messages are not shown, but you can click on “Faves: New Messages” for a list of all your favorite boards. If you wish to add or remove boards from your Favorites list, just click on the “Edit” link in the lower beige bar of the Faves section. (You can also add a board to your Favorites list by clicking on the red heart symbol while you're reading a message on that board. If there's a checkmark inside the heart, the board is already on your Favorites list.)

There's also a “Mark All Read” link, which marks all messages on all your Favorite boards as having been read. Don't click on this link by accident! (To mark all messages read on individual boards, click on “Faves: New Messages” to go to your Favorites list, then click on “Mark Read” for the desired boards.)

What more could you possibly ask for? How about... the “View Replies” link, which takes you to the Replies to Your Posts page, where you can see at a glance when someone has responded to your posts.

It is particularly handy to use the “float” icon at the upper right of the Faves section (the square floating over another square) to pop up a new window containing only the Favorite Boards section. This new window will automatically update every few minutes.

Favorite Features

The Favorite Features section has links to your favorite areas on The Motley Fool. To set this section up, click on the “Edit” link in the lower beige bar of the Favorite Features section. This will take you to a list of the available links, where you can check the boxes for all the links you want to include. Then just click on the “Done” button, and your Favorite Features section is ready. You can change which links are included any time by using the “Edit” link again.

My Links

The My Links section is a list of links, much like the Favorite Features section, except here you can have links to anywhere. To set this section up, click on the “Edit” link in the lower beige bar of the My Links section. You'll find instructions on adding and editing links on the edit page.

Tip: to easily add a link, go to the page you want to link to, highlight the URL in your browser (after “Address” in Internet Explorer, or “Location:” in Netscape”) and hold down the Ctrl key while you press the C key. This will copy the URL to the Windows “clipboard”. Now, go to My Fool, click on the “Edit” link, click on the text box next to “Site URL:”, and hold down the Ctrl key while you press the V key to paste the URL from the Windows clipboard into the Site URL text box. Then click on the “Site Name:” text box, type a name for your link, and click on the “Add” button to add it.

Often the URL contains more than just the address of the page. As an example, let's say you want to get a Detailed quote on your Foolish Four stocks. Click on the Quotes & Data tab, and type the ticker symbols (such as CAT,IP,JPM,MMM) in the text box under “Enter ticker symbols to get quotes:” and click on the green GO button. This gives you the Simple quote. Now click on “Detailed” to switch to the Detailed quote. Whew! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to bring this up more easily? Well, and I'm sure this will be shocking to you, you can with My Links! Now that you have the Detailed quotes page showing your stocks, highlight the URL and press Ctrl-C. The URL may be something like http://quote.fool.com/detailed.asp?symbols=CAT%2CIP%2CJPM%2CMMM (notice that the ticker symbols are there in the URL, which by the way stands for Unique but Really Long). Now click on the My Fool tab, and the “Edit” link for the My Links section. Click in the “Site URL:” box and press Ctrl-V to enter the URL for your quote. Now click on the “Site Name:” box and type a name, like Foolish Four Quote. Click on the “Add” button. Now, let's test it. Click on the My Fool tab, and you'll see that Foolish Four Quote is now listed in your My Links section. Click on “Foolish Four Quote”, and the Detailed quote appears with your Foolish Four stocks!

Personalization Options

The Personalization Options section has links you can use to change your personal settings, public profile, and private profile. Just click on the appropriate link. Additional instructions will be available by clicking on the Help link in the green bar on the page you go to.

My Portfolio

The My Portfolio section gives you a little peek into your default portfolio that you have set up on the My Portfolio page. Clicking on “View” takes you to the My Portfolio page. Clicking on a ticker symbol takes you to the Company Information page for that company. The “Edit” and “Create New Port” links take you to those functions on the My Portfolio page.

Manage Newsletters

The Manage Email section has a link to the page where you can select a wide variety of email offerings from The Motley Fool. Just check the boxes for the items you wish to receive. Going on vacation? Keep those emails from piling up at your front door while you're gone by using the Stop and Resume dates feature.

TMF Dawn
Updated 2/22/02
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement