Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 19
Hi Fools!!!

Man, I have missed this place. I've been working like mad to get our first game into iTunes, and it was approved a little while ago.

It's a casual puzzle game called Frog Bog, and is available for iPhone and iPad (sorry, no Android yet. I know. H8rs gonna h8. We'll port it someday.)

I really wanted to do a "Motley Fool Exclusive" post of some kind, since I feel like I've been hanging out with you all for an awfully long time.

Scratch that. I HAVE been hanging out here for a long time, just in fits and starts.

Anyway, this group has a great signal-to-noise ratio, well above what you usually find on the Interpipes, and I wanted to do something a little cool for this group, after disappearing while I finished the game.

So I put together this blog post - originally it was going to be available here only, but it was just too damned topical not to throw out there for public consumption.

http://www.voidalpha.com/blog/?p=29

And, let's face it - nobody reads the blog of a new game studio anyway, so this is as good as a Fool Exclusive as if it were posted here. ;)

It's my first incoherent ramblings on "Free to Play" monetization schemes - at least on the ones you see nowadays, which are friction-based. It's one of my design goals for the studio to explore the dynamic of players and their money, to try and make it more enjoyable somehow for both sides.

The summary version:
- You used to buy games in ~$50 chunks, and hope it was worth it.
- Now, you play for free, and it's sortof up to you to decide how much to spend.
- Therefore, the companies are using every trick in the book to get you to pay
- My theory is that there's another way, which I call Value-based FTP (vs. Friction-based). If you play my game a bit and it's not for you, I don't put up a paywall, I try to give you something else of value. Then, maybe you'll enjoy that enough to make a purchase.

Also, if anyone is going to GDC, I'll be giving a talk called Going Rogue: Game Design Freelancing 101 on Friday at 4 PM. I'll try to speak over the janitors' brooms as they sweep up the end of the show. ;)

If anyone will be there, PM me and maybe we can hook up.

Great to see you again, Fools!
Print the post  

Announcements

Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement