Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5662  
Subject: Re: go-to vegetarian recipes Date: 9/19/2012 7:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
My go to recipes change frequently. Lately I have been making a lot of caramelized tofu and avocado sushi.

Press sushi and cut into strips about 1/4 in x 1/4 in. by 4 inches (or the length of your tofu block) Pan sear until browned on all sides. Mix up a couple of tablespoons of soy sauce, a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a tablespoon or so of water. Add to the pan and toss the tofu until all of the soy sauce mixture is absorbed or coats the tofu. Let cool.

Make your favorite recipe of sushi rice. Put about 1/2 cup rice on a piece of nori and spread out. Lay two strips of tofu so that it makes a line the length of your nori. Lay down some avocado slices. Roll with a sushi mat and cut into slices.

It's also very nice with some shitake mushrooms or shredded carrot thrown in as well.

I also love tofu bahn mi sandwiches. I use seasoned baked tofu from Trader Joe's to make this a really quick meal, but you could use whatever tofu you want. Thinly slice cucumbers and carrots. Pickle in rice vinegar, sugar, and salt. Let sit for 30 minutes to an hour, stirring periodically to make sure everything is covered. Drain. Get some nice french bread and make it all toasty. Slice in half, and put a little mayo on one side.Put tofu, some of your pickle mixture, some cilantro, and some thinly sliced jalapeno pepper. Enjoy.

It's been hot here, so the only things that I can think to eat are cold or room temp foods like that. In a few weeks when the weather turns cool I will switch to my cool weather go to meals like sweet potato peanut soup and Indian creamed eggplant. But for now, i can't even think about those.

DEG
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement