No. of Recommendations: 0
My grandma is a good example of someone who can't live on the SS with the lifestyle she was accustomed to (middle class and frugal). 6 months after her and grandpa retired, grandpa died and left her a small life insurance pay-out and pension. She refused to go back to work so she sold her home, bought into a modest retirement community and lived quite happily. That is, until she unsuccesfully timed the stock market. She quickly turned 120k into about 30k. Then cds went from paying 10% to 2%. By the time she was 75, she could no longer meet her financial obligations with the pittance of SS she got and 1/2 of Grandpa's postal worker pension.

Her 3 kids made a decision to support her with monthly checks so she would not have to change anything or go on welfare.

My grandmother ran into a similiar situation after her husband died and my family supplemented her income as well. We did it on the sly and she never knew.

I like your name 'workwayless' BTW

Thanks! I choose that handle because I'm an early retiree who hasn't ruled out working ever again--as long as it not too often and it's fun.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement