Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ZippyKitty Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 11198  
Subject: My Grandmother Date: 4/7/2000 1:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
A warning - this post only touches on money and investing - instead it is a tribute to the very strong lady who by luck of birth, was my grandmother.

Nan and I were close. But we didn't always get along. I asked Mom about the growing tension between Nan and me once. Mom said Nan found me "abrupt". I still find that funny - since the immediate thing that popped into my head was "Pot...Kettle...Black". She was one bossy lady.

She died in February. The weather home wasn't the nicest. But the cathedral was still packed for her funeral - we don't know where everyone would have sat if she had died in the summer and people could have gotten in from all the small towns she used to visit.

She knew everyone. I spent my whole life being introduced as "M...'s Granddaughter". She was a minister's wife in a small town. My grandfather actually ministered to several towns. For those of you not from a small town culture... the minister's wife is the centre of the social activities. Before they got married she was a teacher... two of her brothers were rhodes scholars and no one would argue that they were smarter than her. After my grandfather died, she ran the play therapy centre at the childrens hospital. Her generosity is remembered by literally thousands.

As was her character... she'd invite you to dinner - but you were expected to help with the dishes. She saved everything. And I do mean everything (how many old butter containers does one person need anyways :o) ). Several years ago she gave her children a sizable chunk of money each -their inheritance... Mom still wonders how she managed to save so much since my grandfather never made enough to pay income tax, and none of the jobs Nan held before or after were notable for the large sums they paid.

So for women investors ... I give you my Grandmother's legacy. I come from a long line of matriarchs - and I hope to someday deserve half the respect, awe and love my grandmother had. But the legacy... Life sucks. It isn't out to get you - it isn't that caring. It will deliver body blow after body blow.

And that is where the gold is.

After each blow, we must get up... dust ourselves off... count our blessings... hug our loved ones and make plans. These plans consist of two things... where we go from here, and how can we minimize the damage of the next blow. When you have your family and your health you have everything.

So put a bit of money away... we don't know what tomorrow brings.

Appreciate your blessings and your loved ones... we don't know if tomorrow comes.

And now get in the kitchen and dry the dishes. :)

ZK
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement