UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Adenovir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75340  
Subject: Re: My smart grandmother. Date: 10/3/2004 12:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
My grandmother had some very good savings ideas. She worked until her Alzheimer's got bad and she had to go to the nursing home. She didn't really need the money, but said that the job kept her young.

Her favorite way of "investing" was cashing her check, taking the money and putting it in a book or old jacket pocket. Then she would promptly forget about it. Some time later she would open a book or put on an old coat, find the money and consider it a 100% return, since she couldn't remember putting it there in the first place. Often, when she found money, she would call us up and ask if we needed anything. We would say, "No, grandma, we're doing fine, keep it for yourself."

Back in the 1980's she saved up a good chunk of change that she had "hid" from my granfather. Apparently, while he made good money as a painter, he would take any extra and gamble it at the track or playing cards. He always had enough money for necessities, but never enough for vacations or new cars. If she wanted anything special, she knew she had to save it herself.

So, she took this money and put it in a CD at the Dime Savings Bank. They had very big, substantial buildings, so she knew that her money was safe there. The CD paid something in the low teens in interest, rates were very high then. Just like her books, she forgot about it until it came time to roll it over. She was shocked to find that her money had nearly doubled (probably in 5 years, but I'm not sure). I guess you could call this a 200% return.

Between her cash savings, her CDs, and her job wrapping packages at Bloomingdales she had more than enough money to live comfortably. When she topped it off with her social security check, she was really doing very well.

It's funny how, as a kid, your parents and grandparents money habits aren't something you think about, but as you grow up and face the same issues yourself, you start to wonder how other folks you know and love handled their money. I found all of this out when we were cleaning out my grandmother's house after we had to move her to the nursing home. In her freezer, which wasn't frost-free, under what may have been years of ice, we found a couple of hundred dollars in a sealed plastic bag. I guess she forgot about this money too...but I haven't.

Adenovir
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement