Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My grandpa died and I'm supposed to receive some money as beneficiary. This money was given to the parents for distribution to the
grandchildren. The estate was small so no tax implications. Now somehow the money ended up in my parent's living (revocable) trust.
How can I get the money from my grandpa? I do have a supporting letter from my grandpa's trust, I assume that if I'm given the exact
amount from my parents it would work with no gift tax implications - the amt is slightly over 10k.

Was there a will? Did this go through probate? What kind of a trust of your grandfather's? I'm not a lawyer, but if you have a legal right to it, then it
seems to me to not be a gift, but a direct inheritance.

Oh, gifts up to $20,000 total from your parents wouldn't be taxable.
There was a will and a trust (no probate) set up with me as a named beneficiary. For me it's not the grandpa -> grandchild issue but how to get it out of the parent's trust without any tax implications.

I also don't want to use up my gift exclusion for this year yet when I don't have to (e.g., if it had gone from grandpa trust -> grandchild that would have been ideal). So my concern is in the parent's trust, etc.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.