UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: JBtheJunkist Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 749463  
Subject: My Greatest Investment Date: 3/24/2004 7:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 164
Hey, everyone. All is well here, despite what you've heard on CNN. Morale is still high, and we are already looking forward to coming home (it'll be another 9 months to a year).

Anywho, my greatest investment was something I stumbled upon completely by accident. Up to January of 2003, wifey and I were working our collective butts off. She was working full time and then helping me with our auction/antiques business and I was working 14 hour days, cleaning, dusting, hauling, refinishing, buying -- doing all the things that needed doing. We were making money, but we were just working too damn hard. So, I decided to cut back on the store hours. I then decided to hire some extra help. Then, I decided that I wasn't going to do bookwork or anything business related at home. I begain to treat my business as a job, where I worked a set schedule and after that, I went home. Period.

After a month or so, I began sleeping better. From sleeping better I felt better. From feeling better, my relationships improved. From my improved relationships, I became happier. Then, after several months, I began to realize what my greatest investment was.

It was time.

I had begun by taking time from my life, instead of my life taking time from me. I began to further trim my obligations outside of my family, friends and work, and pretty quickly realized that the more time I had to spend with my family and doing the things I enjoyed, then the greater my quality of life was. I became happier, and my friends and family benefitted from it. Having the time to not be stressed out, to not have the obligations that ran my life previously, to be well rested, to have true "quality" time with myself, family and friends, not only has made me a happier person, but has given me the opportunity to be a better person, husband, father and friend.

Now, that I am in Iraq, I have a good bit of time on my hands. I read alot more, I work out, I get plenty of sleep (when we aren't getting bombed! ), have time to write and to contemplate the things that make me ME. I am learning more about me, and am becoming alot more comfortable with who I am, who I want to be, and where I'm going with my life. I'm also noticing how beautiful the sky is at night. How much I love to watch the sun set or sun rise, with a hot cup of coffee and a few minutes of "me" time. Of how much I enjoy listening to people. Of how much I enjoy writing to my wife and children. Of looking at pictures of my family and realizing just how beautiful they really are. Of what an extremely lucky man I am, just being me and having the wonderful things I have in my life.

Yes, I must admit, my greatest investment has been taking the time to enjoy the life I have. I stumbled upon it accidentally. I hope my little chat here can help someone to realize what a great investment it is, so they don't waste all the years I wasted.

Peace,

JB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement