UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: howardgt One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35383  
Subject: Re: Your Best Pal, Ben? Date: 9/21/2012 9:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
my guess is maybe one or both of you, simply just factor a potential or realized loss/position into your income stream thus lowering your actual YTD rate of return.

Yeah, that’s basically my strategy. As Charlie states, everyone has their own goals and objectives. My objective in buying individual bonds is to create an annuity-like income stream. I am prepared to risk capital in order to increase income. That’s why I stick with junk bonds. I’m basically a buy-and-hold investor from way back, so I buy bonds with the intention of holding to maturity.

I don’t consider myself smart enough to know if a company can hang-on until maturity when prices or earnings begin to deteriorate, so I’m prepared to go down with the ship. I try and keep my bond portfolio well diversified (although sometimes I break this rule). My target is a 10% nominal return over the life of the portfolio, so I try and average 13% YTM and hope not to lose more than 3% to defaults, reorgs and BKs. So far it has worked out very well. But the real test will come when the next recession hits. I figure if it occurs within the next few years, then I will probably miss my target. But if we can hold off for a while, I should make my target.

Howard
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement