No. of Recommendations: 1
My husband and I are both free-lance employees without access to a 401K for retirement funding. We max out our IRA contributions annually but a paltry $5,000/year is not anywhere near what we need to stash away.

Does anyone have any ideas for other tax-deferred retirement vehicles?

You could each open a 'Single 401(k)' or 'Solo 401(k)'. Many brokerages and mutual fund companies offer these accounts.

As an 'employee', $17k ($22.5k if 50 or older) can be contributed to either Roth or Traditional (pre-tax) option, just like the employee of a company that offers a 401(k) with these options. As an 'employer' you can contribute up to 25% of your net profit for the year, with the caveat that the employer and employee contributions may not total more than $50k ($55.5k if 50 or older). Also, employer contributions must be Traditional (pre-tax) contributions.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.