UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75700  
Subject: Re: What is best option? Date: 9/26/2001 10:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My husband has a very small pension from a former employer. He is 55 now and has several options to consider & I'd like some fool input. He is considering taking the level income plan that will give him around 300 a month until age 62--then nothing. A jt & survivor annuity would be around 75.00 for life. No one knows how long they will live and since my husband has had triple bypass surgery, he wants to take the level income and use that money to invest possibly by dollar cost averaging. The level income plan would pay 75.00 a month to me in the event of his death. Do you think this is a foolish thing to do?? (A lump sum payment is not an option.)

I'm with your husnband on this. If you take the $300, you can invest the extra $225 and, even with no interest, it would last 21 years after age 62. With interest it will last longer and, frankly, $75 a month isn't enough to retire. Somebody's going to have to work for quite a while longer.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement