Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My husband own's c-corp stock with two other people. When he leaves the company he is required to give the stock back to them. He paid a very small amount for this stock. According to his contract their is no buy in (although he did pay a small amount for the stock) and no buy out of the stock. However, it does say in the contract that he would be paid the balance of his receivables, less 10%, as compensation over a 32 month period. Is this right? Can they do it this way?

I'm not a lawyer, but AFAIK, competent parties can enter into a contract for any lawful purpose and include whatever terms they want. I hope your husband got legal and accounting advice when he set this up. If he didn't, I'd strongly encourage him to do so when it's time to deal with the issue.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.