Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Re: Just for discussion and/or information Date: 4/14/2012 10:33 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
My investment guy told me about two years ago if I converted my regular IRA to a Roth IRA I could split the tax cost over two years. It was some sort of special 2-year deal. Last year's taxes was the first year of the 2 years (which I am sure you guys know). Anyway, my tax guy said that was a ploy by the gov't (IRS?) to get money now. And it worked. He said I would have been better off to wait until I had to get the money, then do it in smaller amounts. It wasn't even that much, about $25K I think. Half of that put me into another tax bracket, and this year's taxes will be the same. It cost me almost $3k in taxes each year. What a deal!

It doesn't matter if your IRA is a Roth or a traditional IRA, you can own the same investments in it. So the decision to convert (or not) is not an investment decision, it's a tax decision.

If you don't know anything about taxes, you should be listening to your tax guy, who you pay to advise you on taxes, not your investment guy, who you pay to advise you on investments about tax decisions. Since the investment guy told you there were tax implications, why didn't you pick up the phone and call the tax guy before taking action on what the investment guy was suggesting?

Seems to me that you are trying to create discussion about a mistake that you made.

Additionally, your assertion in your first post that you have no source of income other than your $43k in annuities is incorrect. By choosing to convert the Traditional IRA to a Roth, you chose to create income of $25k split over 2 years. So your income for 2011 was actually closer to $55k.

The fact that some of that income was not currently spendable by you doesn't negate the fact that is income. That's what tax-deferred accounts like Traditional IRAs do for you - they allow you to defer income (and taxes on that income) until you choose to take the money out of the account. You chose to take the income in 2010 by doing the conversion.

AJ
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement