No. of Recommendations: 1
My issue with a mini-iPad is not the product but the trend line. Apple's history has been to define its market. They created the Mac computer because there was nothing like it. They created the iPod because no one had done it right.

Then they created a dozen other versions: bigger, smaller, some with more features, some with fewer. Some did video, some didn't. Some had internal speakers, some didn't. By covering many different segments of the market they kept other manufacturers from having an obvious advantage in one area that Apple didn't. Was that a bad strategy? Would you say they should reduce the product line to just one model?

With the mini-iPad, they are chasing the existing low end tablet market, not innovating

They're not "chasing" anything, they're making a product available in a market segment which exists, and which if they don't serve others will. Some people don't want a full size tablet, just as some people don't want a small size Kindle.

Sure it will add revenue but it will cheapen the brand

No it won't. Really not.

Everything I read about the mini-iPad says lower quality, fewer features and that's never words I want to be associated with Apple.

Ah. So the iPod Shuffle should be discontinued immediately. Apple still sells the iPhone4, which comes without Siri or retina display. They should stop that too?

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement