Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 96690  
Subject: My letter to the NFL Date: 2/3/2004 12:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 61
Dear Commissioner Tagliabue:

I am writing to express my displeasure with the Superbowl. Or rather, my displeasure with the many things surrounding the game as the game itself was of high quality and very entertaining. My complaint concerns two things.

First, the halftime show. While everyone is claiming to not have knowledge of the incident with Janet Jackson being exposed, there were still many other inappropriate actions taking place on stage that had to have been seen during the rehearsals. People were grabbing their crotches and simulated sex by the dancers was of highly questionable taste. Kid Rock wearing the US Flag as a poncho was also wrong and very disrespectful, although from the way he treated the flag when he removed, I believe that he did this out of ignorance rather than attempting to show disrespect. Nonetheless, someone should have informed him of the rules of etiquette regarding the flag. It should not be used as clothing. We were spared some of the tastelessness of your half-time show by the bad quality of it. The lyrics were totally unintelligible. I have been told by people more familiar with the artists than I am that some of the lyrics dealt with the use of illegal drugs, so perhaps this is a good thing. I have not confirmed the veracity of this, so if I am mistaken and nothing about drug use was mentioned I apologize. But as nothing else seemed to be taboo to these performers, I find it very easy to believe this as well.

The second issue I had with your Superbowl broadcast was the commercial advertisements. Many of these were crude and tasteless. To say that it was bathroom humor would be a compliment. I understand that CBS pays your league a set amount of money and then the network sells the advertisements. Nonetheless, the Superbowl is your show and the commercials have become a part of the package. You need to exercise more control over what the sponsors will be showing to a wide audience that will include many children.

Mr. Tagliabue, I am a first time father. My son was born less than a month before the Superbowl was played. Like many other fathers I have dreams of teaching my son the game of football. I love this game and I love the product that the NFL puts on the field. It is the only sport I will watch even when my home team (the Rams) is not playing. The only other sporting I do this with is the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament, commonly called March Madness. But that is a three weeklong tournament. The NFL holds my attention for an entire season and I follow the league as a whole. As I said, I have dreams of teaching this game to my son. But if I can't be assured that your product is safe for a child to watch, then I will not expose him to it. I am certain that I am not the only parent that feels this way. Do you really want to take a chance on losing the next generation of football fans?

It really all comes down to this. I will not introduce football to my son if football insists on introducing my son to filth.

Sincerely,
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement