Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My Linux server came up at first...but then it disappeared....evidently it was BOINC's fault. Once that started, it quickly melted away....because both the case and processor fans failed to spin up.

I am curious: did you have a UPS on that machine?

Why do you suppose the processor fans failed to spin up? Were they at end-of-life and shutting them down delivered the coup de grace?

I had the main air intake fan (120x120mm x 25mm) sieze up on this machine within six months of building it. It also has an 80x80 x 25mm intake fan, Fortunately the processor fans are temperature controlled and they speeded up to try to make up for the lacking case fan. They were running at 6000 rpm and that got my attention. I powered down the machine, noticed I could not turn the main intake fan, and repalced it. That fixed that problem without losing the processors. I do run lm_sensors but I do not look at it all the time.

Will have to adjust my BOINC profile...which is currently set to only use at most 2 processors. I've never had a box with more than 2 before....so never saw the need to play with that parameter.

The box on which I am typing this has two hyperthreaded Xeons, so Linux thinks it has 4 processors. And when it is otherwise idle, it runs all 4 at 100% saturation most of the time, with dips to about 98%. OTOH, if I run some other jobs at normal priority, they can take 100% of a processor and the other part does not run at all. It is funny, because the BOINC stuff is compute limited, and the other stuff (postgreSQL database) I would expect to be IO limited. Yet that is just the time when the second half of a processor gets no cycles. I am not sure why that is.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement