Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (71) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: putnid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19255  
Subject: Re: Is your 401(k) Inadequate For Retirement Date: 7/30/2008 4:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 44
My local paper would be happy to print such stories--people suffering because they didn't save enough make for good press. Only it'll leave out the part about not saving enough and portray the people as victims of forces beyond their control. - fleg

How many people even have a 401(k), or work for an employer who offers a 401(k)? (I have the data somewhere, but I'm trying to dash off a response, so the links will have to wait...I've gotta a bunch of data).

There are other inconvenient facts to consider. A full 28% of our countrymen earn less than $25,000/year (per household). Another 26% earn between $25K and $50K/year (per household). The average household consists of 2.5 individuals. It ain't easy saving for retirement at those levels of earnings (particularly in a major metropolitan area). We can berate the workers who earn such paltry wages for their "bad choices" yet, we want to reduce labor costs to the bare minimum. Therein lies the problem. If we drive labor costs to the bare minimum, then how are these individual supposed to save for their retirement? Heck, they can't even afford health insurance.

We're a productive Nation, no doubt about that. We've squeezed a heck of a lot of productivity out of our labor force by driving wages down, and reducing or eliminating benefits (most notably, health insurance). We can't have it both ways: low wages, few benefits, yet self-sufficient retirees.

You can't squeeze blood from a stone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (71) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Brookfield Asset Management
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement