Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My marriage occurred September 1999, divorce was final December 13, 2000. I had a lot of expenses that I could have claimed for last year (1999) that I was not able to with my wife having filed claiming the standard deduction, forcing me to do the same. I did figure that if we had filed jointly, we could have gotten a refund of $900.00, but I ended up having to pay over $500.00 because of the capital gains that I had for 1999. My 1998 AGI was $19950, for 1999 it was $28785 with the capital gains, and would have been around $21000 without the capital gains. In 1998 I had $9585 in itemized deductions, and could have claimed about the same for 1999 but was only able to claim $1413 with how the filing was done. My 1998 tax liability was $1151, for 1999 it was $3101, almost triple the 1998 liability.

Jackson Andersen
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.