UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: malaoshi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884915  
Subject: My means... Date: 10/7/2012 11:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 37
just improved.

Many of you know I am retired, not on a very tight budget, but miss my teaching...

A friend recommended me for tutoring, and I got a very nice call from the would-be tutee's husband.

I explained that I always give a free hour's meeting first, to find out what the student needs and wants, and to see if the student will feel comfortable with me. I always explain the potential student will have NO obligation to hire me as a tutor, and I will be glad to recommend different colleagues if I think one of them will be a better match....

We set up the first meeting. The husband sat in on the whole hour ( a first for me) but I found the wife bright, receptive and enthusiastic.

They wanted 5 hours a week.

I cannot do that much ( family obligations) but was thrilled to offer 3 hours. I'd been expecting one hour's work.

So we had the first REAL lesson Friday. Imagine my amazement when I found in the envelope not only the payment for the first real lesson, but payment for the freebie too! I had verbally declined that payment 3 times on the day itself, but they smuggled it into the week's fee. Very generous of them, and a first for me....

Besides the fun of teaching again, my means for gift-giving, for my grandkids, my favorite charities (and also a manicure now and then) just increased like crazy. 12 hours a month? Woohoo! My DH has never, ever grudged me a penny, but I love earning something.

For any of you who have a credential, and an hour or two a week to spare, don't forget that tutoring can be a great way to save for special treats.

Big Momma
Feeling rich.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement