No. of Recommendations: 3
X-posted to RECF

This is what I sent to my BSA local council and the national org in reference to the upcoming vote on changes to the standards:

"To whom it may concern,

I would like to pass along my input to the upcoming vote on possible changes to BSA standards occurring in Texas in late May. I understand you are no doubt receiving a lot of input so I'll try to keep this to the point.

As a Cub Scout Pack Committee Chair in Ann Arbor, MI I live and work in an environment that prides itself on diversity in all forms and respecting the rights and dignity of all persons regardless of their sexual orientation. This has caused quite a bit of friction in reference to the BSA "don't ask, don't tell"-like policy on homosexuality. Our pack used to be chartered by the school PTO, but in response to the BSA v. Dale Supreme Court decision the PTO decided they could not in good conscience sponsor our pack and abide by their non-discrimination clause. We had no choice but to respect that decision, but thankfully found a local church, [our chartered org, I don't speak for them], that could sponsor us. They have stood by us despite having qualms about doing so due to their own non-discrimination policies which, technically, the BSA charter violates.

There is some cause for concern that if the policy isn't changed to be more inclusive our chartered org could opt to stop sponsoring our pack because of it. Every year they have to agree to language in the charter that technically violates their non-discrimination policy, so every year we have to wonder if it is our last. The fate of our pack is not the only one in the balance as they also charter a BSA Troop [Troop ID redacted, I don't speak for them either].

I fully understand that some have deep moral objections to homosexuality and even view it as totally incompatible with their understanding of religion and thus any support of it is a violation of their "duty to God". However, there are just as many of us who feel that our "duty to God" requires us to love and respect all people, even those with sexual orientations we may not share or even agree with. I know many homosexual individuals and they're no different than non-homosexuals in terms of their morality, ethics and honor... some are moral, ethical and honorable, others are not. I cannot agree that homosexuality alone is immoral.

I will stand by and do my best to support my pack and BSA regardless of what is decided, but I can't say the same for our chartered org, any of my fellow committee members, pack parents or even the scouts themselves. The curve of history is clear on this, acceptance and respect is becoming ubiquitous. Yes, we as a private organization can opt to not change, but I believe that just because we can doesn't mean we should. The time has come to change this policy, to stop rejecting dedicated scouts and leaders (and other community members, including those who would otherwise support us financially to be honest) due to their sexual orientation."

----

All I can do is express my opinion and hope a lot of other people agree and do the same.

FWIW you too can express your opinion on the matter to the national BSA via their contact website: http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/CubScouts/Contact.aspx

I've asked everyone in my pack to contact both our local council and the national org with their opinions on this, and to keep it respectful and honest (as all good Scouts should).

I'm in Scouting now, that won't change regardless of the policy enacted in May. I do believe that it will be a more difficult path for all if changes aren't made and that changes are the right thing to do regardless. Changing would be a win-win. I know there are many who feel exactly the opposite, though, and have no clue which side will carry the day in May. I'm not one of the 2000 voting members nationwide, thus other than providing input I have no real say.

I do think changing this policy is inevitable, might as well do it as soon as possible so we can get back to the real mission: teaching boys to be responsible, self-sufficent, moral and motivated to do their best. That's all I'm interested in, I couldn't care less what the sexual orientation of any of them is or will be. That's between them, those they love and God, none of my business period. I have lesbian sisters, it's a shame I can't say "Hey, would you like to help out your nephew's pack?" given that I know they can't per the current BSA standards. Instead I have to ask strangers... how is that safer, better, more fair, etc.?

Anyway, that's where I stand as a 35-year old married guy who has volunteered to be a pack committee chair for my son's pack, unpaid entirely (in fact it's costing me a lot of time and money!) who is as Conservative as the day is long.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement