UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 741523  
Subject: Re: Steyn Date: 11/16/2012 9:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My mother's old boss - the former superintendent of schools is Hispanic. His parents were field hands in TX. He wanted more and worked his tail off to do something with his life.

A popular juvenile court judge here is Hispanic. Similar story. Parents were uneducated common laborers, and now their baby boy is a highly respected member of the community.

Like most things, there are exceptions to Steyn's picture. I feel that the biggest problem is that they come to America and can safely remain in the barrio for generations and never have to become assimilated Americans.

I have met quite a few third or fourth generation Hispanics that speak no Spanish and they live in CA and TX. One of the guys was a yard hand at the truck transport company I worked at. I saw something in Spanish and assumed that he could translate it for me. He apparently is tired of people making that assumption and he answered me crossly.

The problem is the sheer numbers of them, not that they are Hispanics which differing cultural values. Even in Dearborn, I met guys who were Muslim in name only.

Owing to cultural sensitivities, I seldom got to speak with the women outside of when they tended the counter of the establishment I bought something at. Can't gleen much about them merely picking up your dry cleaning or buying stuff at the local Kroger.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement