UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jiml8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128374  
Subject: My mouse story Date: 1/24/2004 4:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 80
Long ago, my wife came to me and said "we have mice in the kitchen." So, I said; "I'll set traps."

She said; "you can't do that; Molly will get into them." I said; "Molly will only get into them once, then she'll know better." "But I don't want her to get hurt!"

Molly is my wife's shi'tzu, far too small to be really called a dog - more of a rat, I think. In her defense, though, she is quite fierce. She gets points for making the most of what she has, but she's too small to be taken seriously.

Anyhow, I know how these discussions with my wife go. For anything I propose, she'll object ("but maybe the sun will go nova. Maybe the earth will collide with a black hole...") so I just don't go there. I said I'd set traps, she objected. I just shrugged and no traps were set.

Some time later, my wife comes up to me and says "we have mice upstairs now." I said; "I'll set traps." She said; "But Molly will get into them." I shrugged and no traps were set.

Some time later, my wife comes up to me and says "we have mice in the bedrooms and bathrooms now." I said; "I'll set traps." She said; "But Molly will get into them." I shrugged and no traps were set.

Finally, recently, she came to me and said "they're in the pantry and they've eaten the labels off a bunch of cans so now I don't know what is in them." I said; "they haven't eaten the labels, they're using them to make nests." She said; "you have to do something about this." I said; "I'll set traps." She said; "OK. I'll see to it that Molly doesn't get into them." (FINALLY!!!!!!!)

So, I set traps. Since then we have gotten 13 mice. They are still in the kitchen, and the bedrooms, and the bathrooms, and upstairs. Labels are still vanishing from cans. They have elected a mayor, town council, and school board. I saw their militia drilling on the living room floor recently. Maggie, our golden retriever (big enough to qualify as a dog but tempermentally more qualified as a rug) stares quizzically at them as they run from place to place attending to their business. Molly pretends they don't exist.

So I keep setting traps, but I think it is futile. I think we have reached the point that no matter how many traps I set, no matter how many mice I kill, their rate of reproduction will exceed my ability to eliminate them.

Lately I have noticed them watching me. They seem to be following me around; whenever I look around, there is a mouse or two staring at me from some relatively safe place. Just a few minutes ago, I saw Maggie, sleeping, moving across the family room floor in a curled up position. I looked closer, and saw a bunch of small tails sticking out from under her as she went. She never noticed, and I fear for her safety.

I haven't seen my younger daughter for awhile; went looking for her and she didn't seem to be anyplace. And now, I here a lot of squeaking, and from somewhere the tramp tramp tramp of marching feet, but the cadence and the timbre suggests that these are very small marching feet. I don't know what it means, but I fear the worst.

Look. I don't know how long I have, but if you don't here from me, tell my wife that
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement