No. of Recommendations: 3
My older-worker experience is only in the software biz, where the people I worked with were often young enough to be my children and almost every manager I ever had was younger than me. In fact, at my first SW job, at a very large company, my entire chain of command right up to the CEO was younger than me--and I was 39!

Here's how I got software jobs as an older worker:

+ Made sure I knew my stuff--he latest developments in my field and about the company.

+ I was always lucky to look younger than my age. Although I started going gray early, I colored it--sometimes purplish.

+ I dressed in a trendy suit in an unusual color designed for an avant garde 20something. But wore black flats (I tend to wobble or even trip in heels, but employers just think I'm practical or kinda goth-) and interesting jewelry--not what you buy at a department or jewelry store, but artsy handmade pieces that show I appreciate creativity.

+ Obvious makeup and sexy hair makes a woman seem like an idiot who wandered in from S&M (sales & marketing-) in a technical StEM job. So mine was very subtle--a hint of eyeliner, mascara, and colored lip gloss. No foundation, powder, rich lipstick, nail polish, or perfume. Naturally curly hair left to its own devices, as usual. Pray for dry weather and no frizz ;-)

+ Remind myself to look people in the eye and smile a lot. Yeah, I need reminders <eyeroll>. Helps that I smile more when nervous.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement