Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 16
Hi Everyone,

I lurk here from time to time and I even posted here once or twice a bit back, but I am sure know one here remembers that. Anyhow, beccapooka suggested on another board that I post here sometime. I thought since my one year anniversary was today, I would post today.

I quit smoking after having smoked for almost 18 years. I started just before I turned 21 years old and had only had one brief period of about 9 - 10 months where I had "quit". That brief period had been about 8-9 years before. About 5 years ago I got remarried to a man with two kids. My ex had been a smoker( we were married 13 years)but, my new husband was not a smoker. I didn't like smoking around him even though he had no problem with it. I was always polite and respectful and did not smoke around the children. Actually I didn't smoke anywhere but outside. I always felt so bad around the children having to take my "smoke" breaks. I knew I was showing them something that was bad. I wanted them to learn much better coping mechanism than me but, I just could not give up my smokes. I had had a lot of personal trauma and tragedy in my life and I did not want to let go of the one thing I thought I could count on to be there for me. My smokes were like my best friend. The very thought of giving them up caused me to start wringing my hands. I would almost have panic attacks just thinking about what I would do if life got stressful and I didn't have a cig. Finally last year my health began to get really bad. I was a mess with more sinus infections and allergy problems, you name it. I knew I had to quit.

I also knew I had to have a plan. Patches had not worked for me before. Nothing had. I finally was reading one day and saw where one person had been put on anti depressants to quit. I saw my doctor and talked with him. He knew I had to quit and that I was finally ready so he prescribed Wellbutrin for me. I used it for awhile and then picked a Quit Day. I don't even remember why I chose September 23, 2002. I was ready though. I had gotten rid of the cigs and all the things that go with it. I had stocked the house with all kinds of comfort stuff. You guys know the drill. I won't say it was easy. My poor husband after a few days was almost ready to go and buy me cigs! I was a mean and moody bear at times. I would cry at night for my cigs! I really missed them. I was forced for the first time in a long long time to actually feel so many emotions instead of stuffing them with a puff of smoke. I was so hungry all the time. Remember this was right before Halloween and the rest of the food laden holidays. You can guess what happened. I put on weight like crazy. I did not let that stop me. I had made the commitment to myself that I was going to quit. Everything else was secondary. I would deal with the weight gain later. I would cry all day if I needed to. I would write nasty hatefilled letters to people and get things off my chest.(No, I didn't send them...ha ha ha ha)I did whatever I needed to do, but I did not smoke. I took hour long baths and cried .....I ripped paper.........I cooked whatever I wanted. I felt things.............

The one thing that helped me the most was remembering HALT. I am sure you all have read this. We are most suseptable to bad choices when we are HUNGRY....ANGRY......LONELY.......or TIRED. When I had a bad craving for a cig, I ask myself what am I really feeling. Then I met that need, not smoke the cig. Anyway, here it is a year later. I still want one almost everyday. Saying no to the temptation is a lot easier now though. Time is the answer. In case anyone is wondering, I have been off the Wellbutrin since mid Jan. 2003. I was on it from the first of Sept. 2002 through this Jan. 2003. It really helped me stay "calmer"... ha ha ha. And yes, I am still losing weight. My stepkids are very proud of me and my husband is very proud of me. Most importantly, I am proud of me. It was one of the hardest things I ever did. I am worth it.

I wish you well.........

Tigorious

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement