Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Re: Captial Gains for State Return Date: 3/13/2006 2:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My only question is the section of the CA540 instructions that states that if the non-resident spouse has any CA-source income due to community property rules that spouse cannot file as a nonresident.

After looking through some instructions and source material, I can't find that statement.

I do, however, see one dealing with filing joint or separate returns.

Normally, you have to use the same filing status on your CA return that you use on your Federal return. However, there is an exception for a spouse that was a non-resident for the entire year AND who has no CA source income. (And there is another dealing with members of the military.) In that situation, you can file a joint federal return, but a separate CA return.

The caveat here is that if either spouse is in a community property state AND there is CA source community property income, then both spouses will have CA source income. So the MFJ federal but MFS CA return is not an option.

In our case, that issue would apply, as one spouse is a resident of CA, a community property state. Therefore the non-resident spouse has CA source income, and filing a joint federal but separate CA returns is not an option.

So if you change the last words of your statement from "as a nonresident" to "separate CA but joint Federal returns" then you've got it correct.

--Peter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Name of the Game: Tax Avoidance
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement