Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: stockboyca One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 160  
Subject: My opinion... Date: 11/19/1999 5:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I think that Archduke Ferdinand of Austria should have been mentioned. While he may not be the most influentiol person, he was part of the most influential event of the 20th century.

For those of you that don't what happened, he was assasinated in the balkans, in 1917? (somewhere at that time). This was one of the SEMINAL events of history. Most of the world political events of this century can be traced in one way or another to his death.

His assasination started WWI. This event created certain things:

The worst war in the history of mankind-WWII was nothing in comparison to the horror of trench warfare. Imagine fighting along the lines of Omaha beach(D-day) every single day of the war. And then throw in chemical weapons...

The WWI and its aftermath created certain things:

The rise of the US as an economic power(all of the European powers were devastated after the war. They essentially lost an ENTIRE generation of men to it).

The US entering the world geopolitical arena as a power. Before this, the US was not really a player. And was essentially an isolationist.

The rise of communists in Russia. WWI was a major factor in their power play. The ending of Russian involvement in the war was a primary goal for them.

The subordination of Germany as a country. The treaties of WWI destroyed Germany's economy and was humiliating. This set the table for the rise of Hitler.

The start of WWII. See above, but the treaty of Versailles essentially guaranteed a "round 2."

I feel that Ferdinand's death was the most influential event of this century. WWI, WWII, communism, fascism, the Korean war, the cold war, the rise of the US... all of these things can be traced to that one event.

I found it particularly interesting that many of the people on the list were directly related to WW2. Could this be a cause of the age group selected? And the selection of Bill Gates...very questionable. Modern PC computing was created by Xerox parc research and brought to consumers by Apple. Just so you know, Xerox parc created things like the graphical interface, networked computing, WYSIWYG applications, laser printers...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Considerable Headwinds for Profire Energy?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement