UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: My Own Story, Or Why I Love Jimmy Buffett Date: 1/29/2001 6:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
So, here is the deal. I want to find a way to retire by 50, send the kids to Harvard, own a bar in the tropics, and have less than 3 heart attacks along the way.

I am 28, married, with an 8 month old daughter. I live in Maine, just moving up from Boston, Mass this year. So I have to find a way to buy that bar with a college friend of mine within the next 22 years. Coming from a zero net worth posture (I just got out of school) to what I would expect should cost several million (the bar, retirement, two houses, kid's education, etc...) in 22 years is daunting to say the least.

Anyway, thats an intro. Any info will be appreciated.

Bouna Fortuna,

Gekko II
Print the post Back To Top
Author: nukejohn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 381
Subject: Re: My Own Story, Or Why I Love Jimmy Buffett Date: 1/29/2001 6:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Have you ever read any of the "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" books?

Nuke

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17 of 381
Subject: Re: My Own Story, Or Why I Love Jimmy Buffett Date: 1/29/2001 6:15 PM
I can't say that I have...Should I?

Author: nukejohn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 381
Subject: Re: My Own Story, Or Why I Love Jimmy Buffett Date: 1/29/2001 6:36 PM
I can't say that I have...Should I?

I highly recommend the Rich Dad Poor Dad books by Robert Kiyosaki and the the William O'Neil investment books (founder of Investors Business Daily).

NukeJohn

Author: GekkoII Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22 of 381
Subject: Re: My Own Story, Or Why I Love Jimmy Buffett Date: 1/29/2001 6:38 PM
I'll definitely check them out.

Author: llinden Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 87 of 381
Subject: Re: My Own Story, Or Why I Love Jimmy Buffett Date: 1/31/2001 10:25 AM
Recommendations: 0
Hi Gekko II. Great idea for a board. I've been enjoying the posts enough to actually get up the nerve to <delurk>.

You wrote "So, here is the deal. I want to find a way to retire by 50, send the kids to Harvard, own a bar in the tropics, and have less than 3 heart attacks along the way."

Why don't you consider hanging your law shingle in Key West, Hawaii, etc. and opening a bar now - sort of like Ed, the bowling alley lawyer, on NBC's sitcom. I've always wanted to travel (and have managed a fair amount) but chose a stationary occupation (commercial real estate appraiser) and married a homebody. I've often wondered why I didn't make early choices that were more synergistic!

Posting from sunny Florida! Laurie

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 101 of 381
Subject: Re: My Own Story, Or Why I Love Jimmy Buffett Date: 1/31/2001 11:50 PM
Recommendations: 0
FWIW, I first saw Jimmy Buffett when you were one year old. I remember three things, his name, the girls left when we ran out of beer, and I forgot the other one. <grin>

Another FWIW, Jimmy Buffett is a workaholic, or at least I think. He tours every year. He writes frequently. He tried a musical. Etc.

He doesn't work for the money, he does it because he likes it. I guess.

Anyway more on me later.

buzman-ps Neat idea for a board

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement