UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DigbyRC Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75384  
Subject: My Pick of 403b Fidelity Funds Date: 1/4/2000 5:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm restricted to Fidelity funds because of the nature of my 403(b) plan. I've about 150 mutual funds, and about 100 bonds/blends to
pick from. Right now I only have a little over $3,000 to move out of the default money market account.

Taking pure Foolish advice as given in the Foolish Guide to Investing I would put 100% in FUSEX (Fid. Spartan US EQ Index) 'cos of
the low expenses and the long term, more or less guarranteed growth.

However, I see many of you don't subscribe to that philosophy and actively pursue high performance funds, more or less regardless
of fees. And I've learned,from postings here, that high turnover is irrelevant from a "hidden cost" perspective when the money is all
part of a tax deferred account.

Therefore, I'm thinking of putting 50% in FUSEX then splitting the remainder between three of the following

FDCPX (Fid. Select Computers)
FSDCX (Fid. Select Electronics)
FSCSX (Fid. Select Software)
FSPTX (Fid. Select Technology)
FDEGX (Fid. Aggressive Growth)

All of which have +70% one year growth and +20% ten year growth.

But Fool's supposedly don't pick based on past performance they pick on the soundness of the investment - I can't seem to figure
how you do this with mutual funds (apart from the assessments at MorningStar and FundAlarm which I've read for all of them and
they seem, overall "good" to "very good").

So I'm asking three questions.

1) With just $3,000 to invest should I be concerned about fees ? I.e. Should I just stick with the index fund ?

2) What do you think of the five other funds I picked ? Are they recognized by the "investment community" as high quality funds
with good management teams, sort of like, I guess, Janus is. Can I do better than them ?

3) Is going with three of them a better plan than, say, just one, seeing as funds in themselves are highly diversified already.

Looking forward to hearing what you think. I have been very impressed with how helpful and educational the Fool environment is.

Thanks, in advance,

Dr. C
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement