UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jbrains Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35  
Subject: My Plan Date: 10/22/2001 12:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Everyone:

Let's get this board running! I want suggestions and criticisms of my early-retirement plans!

I don't have the hard data here, because I am currently at work, but here is an introduction...

I am 27 years old, I have been working full time since 1998. My goal is FI (in the "Your Money or Your Life" sense) as soon as humanly possible. Although I like what I do for paid employment, I also like doing it for reasons other than being paid. I develop software.

I have maxed out my RRSP in 1999, 2000 and 2001. I purchase stock in my current company at a discount. I have been burned by a boiler-room pump-and-dump for about $5k and learned my lesson. I invest very lightly in KO, BFLY and tried to get NT at the right time -- that was at about $65/share. Poor me.

My current living expenses, including comforts but not luxuries, reaches the neighborhood of $30k/year. Since I like maxing out my RRSP, it appears that I need about $41k/year after-tax income to be comfortable and save for retirement.

My present income is about $65-70k after taxes, thanks mainly to my RRSP contributions. This leaves me about $20-25k/year in savings to either spend on emergencies or invest outside my RRSP.

According to my present calculations, if...
* by 2005 my RRSP gains an average of 7.5%/year for 25 years (At present: 3.5% at ING Direct.)
* I max out the RRSP five more times
* I contribute $2k/year (2001 dollars) the years I don't max out
* Inflation averages 3% per year

then by 2030, when I'm 56, I'll be able to withdraw about the equivalent of $15k/year in 2001 dollars for 15-20 years. I am fat and don't exercise much, so I don't envision reaching 80 or 90 years of age at this rate. :)

So my overall plan is to work like a dog for about another five years (out of the next ten), get paid as much as I possibly can, then start looking for creative ways to find just enough employment income to take care of my expenses and put a little something more into my RRSP. Contributing the equivalent of $2k/year should not be difficult, even if that actually means $7k/year in 2025 dollars.

I have the numbers somewhere. I'm interested in getting advice and seeing criticisms, especially things like, "Well what about paying for X, genius?!" I want to know if I'm missing anything basic.

I'll post the numbers when I get home.

<jbrains>
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement