Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35804  
Subject: Re: Diablo 3 revisited, Torchlight 2 visited Date: 10/5/2012 1:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My playing has been severely limited lately, due to real life hassles. My lvl60 wizard hit an absolute brick wall in Act 3, I can't do much of anything without significantly better gear. He's a total glass cannon, 35-40k dps, but gets 1- or 2-shot killed, even with diamond skin and other defensive spells. Only good for party play with tanks. He's on the back burner until the 1.05 patch drops, which is supposed to help level the inferno difficulty spikes.

In the meantime, I've dusted of my original barbarian, which I left around lvl20. He's up to 39 in NM difficulty. I'm trying to get him to inferno, I want to see if the barbarian is really as powerful as everyone in the d3 forums seems to say.

I agree that the loot system is poor. After 100+ hours playing, I've found just 3 legendaries, no sets, and 3 copies of the same blacksmith plan. None of the legendaries are above item lvl 40, so they're easily outgrown.

My main beef with drops is that upgrades are too just hard to find. Say I found a pair of low level gloves with a great strength modifier in Normal. I equip it. Now I'm halfway through nightmare, and I've found gloves with double the armor. But not an equivalent strength attribute. To equip the better armor I have to give up 100dps. Or, I can go into the auction house, and for 2k gold (might as well be free), I can get a better set of gloves with more armor and multiple better attributes. But why can't I reasonably hope to find something decent?

The RNG of the item calculation is simply too random. There are too many rolls, too many attribute possiblities, and too wide a range of attribute values. The odds of getting a decent item are so low that you need to find 100s to get a decent one. I almost think it would help if they put some intelligence and biased it towards constructing useful items. Maybe a bias towards class specific attributes (str for barbs, int for wizards, dex for monks). Heck, I'd settle for biasing weapon types for classes. I hate it when my inventory is 1/2 filled with bows and wands that I will never use on a barb.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TV Gaming Help?
Try the Help With This Home Theater board, and problem solved.
Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement