No. of Recommendations: 0
My point was to keep all after tax IRA contributions in a separate account so tracking after tax contributions is simple rather than trying to track them if mixed in with a pre tax IRA. That is an accounting nightmare.

And my point was that you are wrong in that thinking.

When you make a non-deductible IRA contribution, you must file Form 8606 with your tax return. Keep that form permanently (or until all of your traditional IRAs are drained), and you've done all the tracking you need.

A separate IRA account does nothing to help track your non-deductible IRA contributions.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.