Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Caesium Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1660  
Subject: Re: The middle east peace process Date: 3/15/2002 1:10 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My points raised where based on this. We are all blasted daily with news/pictures/videos of the murder/bloodshed and mayhem involved in the Palestinian problem. Our emotions run high depending upon each individuals point of view or political stance or religious faith, consequently it is difficult to see beyond it and our instinct is to search for answers, immediate ones and practical ones.
Yet a Greek friend of mine raised a point that kind of smacked me on the head. The Greeks were under Turkish rule for over 400 years. Even now the Island of Cyprus is divided into permanent Turkish and Greek sides and never the line shall be crossed.
Yet you do not see Turkish boys walking into Greek cafes and blowing themselves and the occupants up. You do not see Greek soldiers being photographed over Turkish corpses, or tanks rolling around the streets. Even though there will be extremists in both camps who might like to do this there is an even more fundamental point, you do not see the whole World being sucked into the problem and being emotionally blackmailed to provide a solution.
What would have happened if the Arab nations en masse used their petro dollars to construct a meaningful infrastructure in Palestine, even an Israeli occupied state. The EU sent aid and a port was built outside Gaza. Why did the EU have to do this and not the Arab nations for example. What if in true Christian tradition the Arabs and Palestinians simply turned the other cheek and in the meantime built airports and roads and factories. What if they ignored the soldiers and farmed the land and peice by peice, even if it was 2 steps forward and 1 back every time.
And little by little they garnered more and more international support through the law making bodies to implement peaceful co-existence.
Do you know why that didn't happen? I have some ideas and I speak as someone who buys from fruit from Palestine but do you know why?
Instead of the above Palestine have chosen a path of terrorism to acheive their ends and the Arab nations have chosen to support it.
Instead of Prince Waleed offering a $10m cheque to New York why hasnt he spent $1b in Palestine building something positive.
And you can argue this is impossible, people under occupation cannot do this, well the Greeks did and after 400 years they got their country back. And I would also add a little man called Ghandi brought the British Empire to it's knees by simply avoiding confrontation.
How easy it is for an Israeli soldier to fight someone who wants to kill you but what a damned nuisance it is to try to fight someone who only wants to love you. They told Ghandi it was impossible too.

Caesium
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement