UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: thinkahead100 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6  
Subject: My Portfolio Evaluation Date: 7/3/2008 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
From the vantage point of 83 years of age and 20 years as a retiree, I recognize the challenges that come as we age. My investment challenge in our present market environment, on this date of July 2008, is my short term goal to outlive my retirement capital resources by managing my portfolio within a Capital Preservation strategy.

Here is a snapshot of my portfolio, which is not performing well and requires a retooling. I would welcome advice from the TMF team and retirees who have experience in managing a capital preservation strategy.

1. Asset Allocations: Cash 63.1%, Stocks 29.7 %, Bonds 7.2 %

Cash: short term (6 to 12 months) CDs and Savings Accounts.

Stocks: Berkshire Hathaway B, Home Depot, Schlumberger, Power Shares QQQ, Evergreen Omega A Fund, Vanguard Windsor II Fund and Vanguard Total Stock Mkt Fund.

Bonds: Vanguard Short Term Federal and Vanguard Long Term Tax Exempt.

2. Income Sources: Social Security (wife & husband), Pensions (wife and husband), Evergreen Omega A Fund monthly distribution, Vanguard Mny Mkt Fund monthly withdrawal.

3. I recently sold 2 preferred stocks, MBNA CAP E and PUBLIC STORAGE that distributed quarterly dividends as part of my income. I temporarily deposited the proceeds $27,780 into my Savings Account. What advice can you offer to recover $2,636 income per year?

4. What advice can you offer regarding my stocks and bonds investments? Berkshire and Schlumberger are performing well. The other stocks and funds are sick. The bonds are performing ok providing income but I am open to other suggestions.

Many thanks
thinkahead100

Footnote: Since this a new board, I am suggesting TMF promote it on your Website and email maessages. Is this doable?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement