Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: wound Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1528  
Subject: Re: Loud Pipes Anger Public Date: 11/18/2009 9:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
My posts are fine.

Not they are not. Without credible evidence to back your assertions I can only assume your agenda is more important to you than the facts.

EPA and other studies have shown the health effects of illegal motorcycles exhaust systems.

Link please.

Your guess is wrong.

What are the odds?

As I said in previous post - I hate the noise of motorcycles with illegl pipes when they are anywhere near me. The noise hurts my ears and disturbs my hearing anything else around me.

I hear you, man.

I also do not like to breath the filthy exhaust of motorcycles.

We don't want you to either...

I really am surprised that there are no lawful bikers here that support our current and future laws against illegal exhaust pipes.

Now you're just putting words in our mouths. For the record, I don't particularly enjoy extremely loud noise from illegal pipes. Actually, I have maintained a position of strong opposition to excessive motorcycle sound for just about forever. However, who is to say my ears are the only ones to judge the noise level to be legal or not?

There are few other factors which contribute more to misunderstanding and prejudice against the motorcycling community than excessively loud motorcycles. All motorcycles are manufactured to meet federally mandated sound control standards. Unfortunately, a small number of riders who install unmuffled aftermarket exhaust systems perpetuate a public myth that all motorcycles are loud. Efforts by regulators to rein in excessive motorcycle sound often miss the mark by singling out motorcyclists with ordinances and laws that are unfair, impractical and unenforceable.

No single segment of the motorcycling community--riders, retailers and distributors, original equipment and aftermarket manufacturers, law enforcement and the safety community–-can single-handedly solve this problem. Although there are other sources of excessive sound such as loud cars and trucks, booming car stereos, poorly maintained generators, and whining leaf blowers, motorcyclists have a responsibility to be part of the solution.
Shifting blame and failing to adopt responsible, voluntary practices will only result in greater prejudice and discrimination against all motorcyclists, including excessively rigorous state and federal standards, more expensive and less attractive motorcycles, the reduction of choices in aftermarket products, abusive enforcement of current laws, and other measures that will negatively impact both riders and the motorcycle industry.

The motorcycling community and law enforcement have long sought a practical field test for measuring street motorcycle exhaust sound.

Denver has passed and New York City is considering passage of an ordinance that bases noise fines on the simple lack of an EPA stamp on the exhaust system. Why? Because sound meters are too expensive to hand out to police officers. But even that is a problem because what officer wants to get down on his hand and knees to find an out-of-the-way placed sticker?

The J2825 "Measurement of Exhaust Sound Pressure Levels of Stationary On-Highway Motorcycles," issued by the SAE in May, establishes instrumentation, test site, test conditions, procedures, measurements and sound level limits. According to the SAE, the J2825 standard is based on a comprehensive study of a wide variety of on-highway motorcycles.

The standard is touted as simple, consistent, and economical. But sound meters are required to perform the test and that's the sticking point.

And the reason is simple. Money.

Stop singling out motorcycles as bad noise when there are so many more things out there that make just as much if not more noise as well. The above standard can be implemented to test all noise makers.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement