UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PuddinHead42 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4314  
Subject: My premiums up 25% Date: 1/20/2013 11:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My company has an ERISA plan (as many large companies do). The premium I pay out of my paycheck is up 25% this year and my copays and deductibles are up. I like my company a lot and they are not trying to take advantage of Obamacare fears to gouge me for more money. They understand they are in a competitive environment and can't just screw their employees, even in this environment.

In the past, they was a $2 million limit on lifetime medical care for a family. There was a yearly limit on mental care. I always believed this to be reasonable. While it would have been nice to get $10 million of care to cure some horrible disease I might get, I knew that was not fair to all the others in the healthcare pool. Life is unfair, there are always limits of some source, but as Spock would say, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

For mental health care, I have a real problem with unlimited care. Unlike a broken arm or a heart attack, there is no clear cure or end to mental health care. I might just like talking to a shrink every week or my shrink might think there is a little more he can do to "Cure" me. So this can go on forever. With no limits, you can bet we are going so see some real abuse and huge costs.

It will be like when Tennessee implemented "TennCare": no copay for doctors or prescriptions. They were somehow surprised how many more doctor visits and prescriptions there were compared to their expectations. They quickly ran out of money and had to completely revamp the program.

Some things sound "good and fair", but when you think about the actual impacts on others, they are not.

Think about handicap parking. It is fair that there are larger spots very close to the business - in the best parking spots. But what if the law said you had to have enough handicap spots to account for the case where every handicap person in the city when shopping at your strip mall at the same time. That would be insane and use up all the spots. It is easy to see that is unbalanced. We need to do the same for healthcare.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

My Big Fat Greek Splat
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement