No. of Recommendations: 0
My problem with groups like earthwatch though is that the volunteer activities are so much fun I don't feel like I'm really "volunteering".

You don't have to "suffer" for it to count, sissylue.

The trick is to find something that makes the world a better place that you can do with a glad heart. Arrete's birds are a good example. Or maske's Book 'Em.

My husband and I volunteer a lot. He likes to do things that require research and can be done alone. For example, he took on a job compiling a calendar of events and has done it for about 15 years now. I did it for a year before he did and found it frustrating and unrewarding. He looked into volunteering with the ACLU because he believes civil rights are vital, but it was a bad fit.

I volunteer to lead singing and teach workshops, which he would consider torture. For many groups, I make sure the members know when the next meeting is to be held.

Now that we are both retired, we have time for a few more volunteer activities.

Vickifool
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement