No. of Recommendations: 0
My question: can somebody help me understand in what kind of account would it be better to buy dividend paying (think the MF Income Investor kind here) stocks? Would they be better placed in a Roth or in a taxable account? I have read articles both in Yahoo Finance and here in MF that take opposite sides.

The thing with investment advice is- "it depends ..." occurs a lot.

So let's hear the opposite sides that cause some confusion.

FWIW, I own shares of a couple of Canadian Royalty trusts (CanRoys) in a taxable account. Why?
1. The Canadian authorities tax the distribution before they are paid out, so that would get lost in a tax-deferred or tax-free account.
2. I can reclaim the taxes paid via the "Foreign Taxes paid" line on my US tax forms (but subject to annual limits - see, a dependency)
3. The distributions get taxed at 15% (subject to holding time - see, another dependency)

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.