Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My question is this - Can he continue collecting under my mother's name and delay collecting his benefits until age 70? We fooled with the numbers a little bit and it seems to be to his advantage. He is not in need of more money right now. His mother is still living at 94 and his uncle lived to 96, so he seems to have a long life ahead of him.

From the Social Security website, emphasis added (

Retirement benefits for widows or widowers
You can switch to retirement benefits based on your own work if they are higher than those you receive as a result of your deceased spouse’s work. These benefits may be higher as early as age 62 or possibly as late as age 70. The rules are complex and vary depending on your situation. If you have not talked with a Social Security representative about retirement benefits (or your circumstances have changed), contact your local Social Security office to discuss the options available to you.

So his best bet would be to talk to the people at Social Security.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.