Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
My question is this: Let's say i'm investing $10,000 into a business venture and it provides me a steady, growing rate of return through a quarterly dividend. At what point is it prudent to pull my original investment money out and spread it into another venture? -- Ramsees

It's prudent to pull the money out when you have - not "think you can find" - a better place to put it.

If you have severe doubts of the viability of the venture, a simple savings account may be a better place to put it. Likewise if you have an expected upcoming expense such that you'd really need to have the $10K highly accessible on short notice.

Keeping a certain amount of highly-liquid capital available for emergencies or unexpected opportunities is also a legitimate thing to do.

But "the market in general is doing even better" is not having a better place to put the money. First, identify what else - specifically - you'd like to put the money into. Which may be a broad-market index fund, but that's still a specific thing.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement